Where to find lo mein noodles in grocery store?
Nowadays, the national cuisine is traditional food and pride of citizens who would like to bring regional culture into the world. Lo mein noodles dish is one of the proud food of Chinese people. As we can see, lo mein could be considered a common name for many different dishes made with the main ingredients in noodles. So, if you like lo mein noodles, this information could help you know more about this delicious dish as how to cook and Find Lo Mein Noodles in Grocery Store?
What are Lo mein noodles?
The Chinese dish “Lo mein noodles” is made by stirring egg noodles in a special broth made from soy sauce. Its main structure includes vegetables and proteins, such as beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, squids. Wontons can be served as a kind of addition to the dish. Some China regions could also order a bowl of egg noodles and seasonal vegetables for diet diners. Lo mein noodles usually are served dry separately with a bowl of vegetables and grilled meat (if any).
According to the book “Being Japanese American” by Gil Asakawa, “Ramen” is the Japanese transliteration of the Chinese word “Lo mein. Therefore, theoretically, traditional Chinese noodles possibly inspired the famous Japanese Ramen dish. Of course, this is just one of many other theories about Ramen’s name. Although in some ways, it may present some cultural interference between Asian countries.
Where to find lo mein noodles in grocery store or supermaket?
Thanks to the development of technologies in the food & beverage industries, you can easily find lo mein noodles without visiting or staying in China. Although, finding the good lo mein noodles in an ample space like grocery stores or supermarkets can be a challenging experience.
So here are some steps for finding Lo mein noodles in Grocery Store.
- Step 1: You should try to find the guide maps in the grocery or ask a salesman. It is usually at the noodles or Asian foods areas.
- Step 2: Choose the Lo mein noodles package once you find the area. They are usually packaged in a paper box or a vacuum pack to ensure quality. In addition, in my experience, well-known brand names could partly guarantee the quality of the product’s tastes and good.
- Tips: Don’t give up if there are no Lo mein noodles on the shelf. You could consider choosing another instead. In that case, you can observe first and find the most same lo mein noodles. Then, you need to read the product’s ingredients carefully to ensure it has similar elements to lo mein noodles.
What grocery store sells lo mein noodles?
- Amazon: The world’s largest e-commerce company surely could give you some suggestions for lo mein noodles. You could find anything on this website with any receiving address, as long as it’s a location on Earth and you can afford the product and shipping prices. You’ll find diversified options on Amazon with different prices, weights. You could buy a one-time-cook package or a big package for long-run purposes based on cooking frequencies.
- Walmart – In the Asia market category, you can find several choices: Chuster, Ka-me, Nissin with various flavors. The price range is 2 USD to forty USD. Ensure that your address is correct, and don’t forget to find out the closest shipping address.
- Your local grocery store – You can often find some products of lo mein noodles in large and medium-scale stores if there are some Asia people in your living area.
- Chinese markets or Asia markets – you could find a box of Chinese lo mein noodles in Chinese markets, of course.
How to cook a classic lo mein noodles dish?
- Step 01: The sauce: In order to make a special sauce for this dish: we will take the main part, is chicken stock, and stir with some condiments: oyster sauce, soybean sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch.
- Step 02. Heat a wok or a large pan, and pour the cooking oil. When the pan is hot enough, add minced garlic and ginger and keep cooking until things turn light brown. Then, add sliced chicken and cook in big or medium heat for about one more minute.
- Step 03. Put bok choy and noodles, stirring until turn bright green and the bok choy starts to soften.
- Step 04. Stir the sauce and add it to the pan. Save the sauce to coat all the ingredients and simmer for about 01 minutes more.
- Step 05: Stir until the chicken is cooked through, cover with scallions, and serve hot.
- Tips: The wok plays an essential role in making this dish perfect. So if you are a big fan of Chinese food, you should purchase a wok to make it in a restaurant standard.
What is a good substitute for lo mein noodles?
As mentioned above, the diversity of noodles and the similarities lead to many lo mein noodles substitutes. You can find the main combinations of wheat flour and eggs in:
Wontons noodles: a noodles dish of Cantonese origin (China). They usually use egg noodles served in a hot broth, with a whole topping of prawns, dumplings, pork, and chives leaves. The broth is made from dried prawns, chicken bones, pork bones, and onions simmered in hours, adding mushroom and black fungus as optional.
Lamian noodles: Lamian noodles: Lamian noodles are soft wheat flour Chinese noodles. Lamian is made by twisting, stretching, and folding the dough until it becomes strands. Lamia noodles are often served with a hot broth made by simmered beef bones with seasoning.
Ramen: Ramen is a traditional Japanese noodles soup. It’s a combination between similar Chinese style noodles mix with soy sauce or miso sauce (Japanese sauce) in a big bowl. For toppings, the chef will add some sliced porks, seaweed and scallions.
FAQs about lo mein noodles in grocery store
The difference between lo mein noodles and chow mein noodles
The main difference between chow mein and lo mein is the cooking methods. Both chow mein and lo mein are wheat egg noodles. The chow mein is deep-fried, while the lo mein is boiled until soft. The noodles themselves have similar nutritional value.
To cook a chow mein, you will boil the noodles first, then stir-fry them before adding vegetables like bell peppers, bean sprouts, and meat. The fried noodles are then dipped in a sauce. The sauce must be included soy sauce, broth, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. After being mixed with the sauce, the crispy outer shell of the noodles will become softer. Then, their inherent chewy texture will appear. The star on the dish is noodles. Therefore, they cannot add too many veggies and meat.
On the other hand, lo mein is not fried. Instead, the noodles are cooked and mixed with vegetables and cooked meat or fish. The key is all ingredients should be mixed right before serving to keep them good. These noodles are soft and plump; they are easy-to-grab noodles. Lo mein also contains heavier sauces, including soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar.
How many calories of a dish of lo mein noodles? And are lo mein noodles suitable for people who are on a diet?
The total energy of a lo mein dish depends on its ingredients. For example, beef lo mein contains more calories than a regular lo mein noodles dish. For example, a lo mein noodles dish with chicken contains 709 calories with 98g carbs. With these energies, lo mein is not a bad option for those on a diet. However, they should try vegetable lo mein noodles to get more efficient in the diet.
Some tips for an excellent lo mein noodles dish at home
It could take 20 – 30 minutes to complete a good dish at home. Though, here are some notices that professional chefs would like to tell you to make your meal perfect:
the key is Lo Mein sauce. The classic sauce is made with a sesame oil base that the noodles are tossed in with garlic, ginger, oyster sauce. The perfect sauce is usually slightly sweet and slightly spicy.
Otherwise, you could choose many versions of lo mein, but these mentioned below are the best, and here are the tips:
Beef Lo Mein: Flank steak is the best beef for lo mein. Delicious flank steak is moderately tender, succulent, and characteristic taste. It creates a unique blend with the lo mein noodles and makes a wonderful flavor when cooked.
Shrimp/ prawns: Remember to cook the shrimp after adding vegetables instead of before as usual. And don’t forget to take them out, keep cooking and finally take them back when the dish is almost done to make them not be overcooked. Fifteen seconds before turning off the stove is enough to heat and keep the sweetness of the shrimp.
Vegetable LoMein: The easiest of all the lomein versions, add in your vegetables cooked until just softened but trying to keep it crisp is not easy. Perfect mix-match vegetables fit with lo mein are broccoli, red and green bell pepper, peas, green onions, bok choy, carrots, and green onions.
Lo mein noodles are considered the thickest ones of Chinese noodles. They are suitable for stir-fried noodle dishes with a heavy or rich sauce. Beef and Broccoli lo mein noodles could bring you a happy and delicious experience. Nowadays, you can find and buy Lo Mein Noodles in Grocery Store, online shopping via Amazon, Walmart, Alibaba and make yourself a fantastic meal with these kinds of noodles.
Don’t hesitate to ask us more to enrich your experience.
- Does Sam’s Club Accept EBT?
- Does Costco Accept EBT?
- Where To Buy Bags Of Ice Near Me?
- How Old To Work At Dunkin Donuts? 16 or 18
- Does Popeyes Have Apple Pay?
- Does H Mart Accept EBT?
- Does LIDL Take EBT?
- Does Wawa Take EBT?
- Can You Grill In The Rain? Traeger, Pit Boss, Kamado Joe, Weber Grill
- Is Trader Joe’s Baking Powder Gluten-Free?
- Does Walmart Cash Lottery Tickets?
- Which Grocery Store Has The Best Meat or Steak?
- What Stores Sell Stamps? or Postage Stamps
- Can You Buy Slimfast On Food Stamps? Walmart or Store
- Do Grocery Stores Accept PayPal? Publix, Supermarkets…